2 Cambridge Villas B&B is on a green journey!
We are fortunate to have this amazing landscape – the Lake District – but are aware that we all have an impact on it and year after year are causing huge damage to the environment. We want to help look after it so that future generations can enjoy it as we do now. We aim to bring about greater awareness to guests and visitors of our environmental impact to the area and as a business we aim to be more responsible by making the move towards sustainability.
To help us achieve this purpose we are using an assessment scheme run by Green Tourism. They give us advice and guidance to help us achieve our aim. Earlier this year (2021) we were proud to receive their Silver award! We are constantly working towards becoming an even more sustainable business.
Here are a few of the things we are already doing:
- We source most of our food and drink from local shops.
- Our guest room toiletries are produced in Cumbria.
- Increasing use of bio-friendly cleaning products.
- Recycling as much as possible and encouraging guests to do the same.
- Reducing our use of single-use plastic (glass water bottles in rooms, toiletry bottles refilled, milk delivery, no individual sachets of sauces/preserves etc.)
- Reducing our energy & water consumption with low energy light bulbs and radiator thermostats; dual flush toilets & tap aerators.
- We garden organically. Our small garden has lots insect and butterfly friendly plants.
- We have an allotment and wherever possible we are using fruit, herbs and vegetables for the B&B i.e. blueberries, strawberries, chives…
- We have bird feeders and water bath for the birds.
- We provide guides and information on local walks and cycle routes to our guests
- We donate to a local charity, the Lake District Foundation who fund conservation, environmental and cultural heritage projects in the Lake District.
As a visitor to the Lake District you can help in small ways:
- Recycle all waste packaging by using the bins in your rooms.
- Be aware of the countryside code when you are out walking, running, cycling or doing any activity in the countryside.
- Try to use your car as little as possible once you are here and use public transport where possible. Did you know that there a huge number of walks and places to visit from our door? Ask us for some suggestions on where to go.
- Donate to the Lake District Foundation https://www.lakedistrictfoundation.org/
- Donate to Cumbria Wildlife Trust https://www.cumbriawildlifetrust.org.uk
Read our environmental statement here.