Ambleside has a wide variety of restaurants and cafes.
Whether it’s a quick bite or something special you won’t be short for choice. During busy times and especially in the summer months, you may need to make a reservation.
Please note that many restaurants in Ambleside have last orders for food at 9.00pm
Please share your dining experiences with us so we can pass on any recommendations to other guests.
- Salutation Hotel – Lake Road. Great Lakeland Cuisine. We think this is an unsung gem of Ambleside.
- Ishaas Indian Eatery – Just across the road from us. Delicious and contemporary Indian cuisine. Well presented food and a quality menu make this well worth a visit.
- Apple Pie – Rydal Road. The award winning “Apple Pie Eating House”. Great Cornish Pasties!
- Daisy’s Café – Central Buildings. Great for a slap up mid day refill.
- Dodds restaurant – Rydal Road. Italian restaurant with a friendly atmosphere and always a good vibe.
- Doi Intanon Thai Restaurant – Market Place. Fresh, tasty ingredients make this a must for Thai food lovers!
- Drunken Duck Inn – Duck Hill. Outside of Ambleside, this pub and restaurant is well worth the trip out of town, for both it’s ales and it’s meals.
- The Fulling Mill– Rydal Road, next to the bridge house. Great food at a good price in a unique building. Go, have a great evening.
- Log House Restaurant and bar – Lake Road, on the way to Waterhead. A contemporary restaurant in an interesting log cabin style building.
- Lucy’s On A Plate – Church Street. Go for the puds alone!
- Priest Hole, The – Church Street. Just at the top of the road, serving Mediterranean and English food, it’s a great place for a meal any time of the day.
- Rattle Gill Café – 2 Bridge Street. Whole food cafe with food that tastes as good as it is for you! the coffee is pretty good too! Highly recommended.
- The Old Stamp House – For a special occasion, this place is hard to beat. Mouthwatering dishes served by very knowledgeable staff. Book well in advance!
- Tarantella Restaurant – Lake Road. A modern Italian style restaurant.
- Wateredge Inn – Waterhead. Literally on the water’s edge, making this one of the most beautiful places to eat.
- White Lion Hotel – Market Place. Decent sized portions at very good prices. They’ve got the cheapest bear in town as well.
- Zeffirellis – Compston Road. An Italian, vegetarian restaurant. Even if you’re not Veggie, the quality of food and service make this a high recommendation. The two course meal and cinema ticket deal is a great way to spend an evening.
- Fellinis – The upmarket arm of ‘Zeffs’ and under the same management. Also veggie and also very good. Well worth a visit. Oh and it’s only 50 yards away!
- The Golden Rule – Want a pub that just serves good beer and drink? Look no further than the ‘Rule’ at the bottom of Kirkstone Road. The Scotch Eggs & Pork Pies are legendary, but you won’t find any other food here, and all the better for it.